The Settlers of Catan
The Settlers of Catan was developed under Mayfair Games and is the original game under the Catan Series. The game involves building cities, roads and settlements where players get to work in developing their civilizations. Movements of players are determined by the rolls made on the dice and also provide the players on the kind of resources that each island will produce. The players will then have to use these resources and create their own civilization. First player to achieve 10 victory points wins the game. The game lasts for around an hour and a half and is intended for kids aged 10 and up. The rules of the game are indicated on an almanac booklet with around four pages of illustrated and straightforward guidelines. There is also a map so beginners can follow the layout of the islands. At the beginning of the game, the players will need to take out the die-cut components first.
Settlers of Catan is played on a board with 19 terrain hexes which produces different resources for the players which will be determined according to the roll of the dice. Due to the variables from the dice, the layout of the game tiles will inevitably change and thus, no two games are very much alike. Players can also trade resources with other players. Some development cards are also used to rob off pieces from other players or help them develop strategies throughout the game. The winner of the game would be the one who collects the first ten 10 victory points. Victory points can also be earned through the use of victory point development cards. In the box, players can find 19 terrain hexes, six sea frame pieces, nine harbor pieces, 18 circular tokens, 16 cities, 60 roads, 20 settlements, two dice, robber, 126 game cards and an almanac booklet and rules guide.
• Settlers of Catan is considered as the best-selling Game of the Year.
• Engaging for kids and adults, gamers and non-gamers.
• The outcome of the game is different every time since the resources and the movement probability are dependent on the nature of the dice roll.
• Every game is a unique and exciting experience.
• Expansions in the original game (sold in separate sets) can be incorporated in the original game which allows additional players and a whole new aspect to Settlers of Catan.
• Pieces are durable and sturdy.
• The pieces are held together in a vacuum box to avoid getting lost from the entire set.
• Simple rules which can be made complex and exciting due to the aspects of strategy.
• Encourages interaction among other players due to the trading aspects of the game.
• Require three to four players, although the extensions allow a higher number of players.
• Setting up and cleaning up after can take time.
• Expansions, which are sold separately, are quite costly.
Gamers and non-gamers of board games from all ages will love Settlers of Catan. The game’s rules are pretty much simple, light and straightforward but its flexible concept makes the game complex depending on the strategies used by the players. The game has an intelligent design which allows a unique experience for players every time the game is played since the course changes on every game. Board gamers have considered Settlers of Catan as their first introduction to the world of intense and strategic board game.
For young kids, Settler of Catan is a great way to while away time, develop rational and strategic reasoning, investing and trading negotiations while experienced players get to develop their skills and harness their techniques which might be relevant regardless of the current condition of the game tiles. What makes Settlers of Catan perfect for everyone is that the game’s rules are really simple for beginners and yet the aspects of the game still make it complex and exciting for pro-gamers.